We’ve all been there. You’re working for a company where the office culture is great, you get along with your co-workers and you love your job, but there’s one thing that drives you NUTS. No, it’s not the coffee maker that’s constantly on the fritz – it’s the intranet.
From its lackluster search functionality to straight-up counterintuitive design, intranets often aren’t a glimmering example of usability. Often left on their own for years at a time, intranets become crusty and sad, leading to their often groan-inducing response. The reason behind it is understandable – in the midst of all the day-to-day work, it’s hard to focus on enterprise-wide solutions. Not to mention, the task of updating your intranet can seem daunting. You have to start from square one and make all the necessary edits: reorganizing and removing content, updating contacts, and ensuring your security is up to snuff. And we haven’t even mentioned these two fun words: mobile/responsive.
It’s enough to make your head spin – and that’s assuming you have a team of people to help you.
Here are four simple ways to break down the formidable task of updating your company’s intranet into something a little less terrifying:
- Break the work into bite-size pieces. Don’t try and boil the ocean. Rome wasn’t built in a day. (You catch my drift.) Ask your employees to rank what their biggest pain points are, and see where they overlap. Then, dive in one step at a time. Just taking the step to identify a starting point can make completing this task more tangible.
- Establish a quarterly update cadence to avoid the dust from settling in the future. Small updates every quarter are much less intimidating than an overhaul once a year (or longer.)
- Separate the content from the display. Generally, it isn’t the site’s design that gets stale, it’s the content. By separating the two, content can be efficiently updated without impact to the site design. It also does not require specialized skills to update the separated content.
- Mine for content. Often, sites within the enterprise are kept more current than the designated intranet site. By mining for content, you can dynamically keep your intranet site fresh by leveraging content authored elsewhere.
If all of that still seems like too much, have no fear! The Intranet Prime Accelerator is here from C/D/H. It’s a turnkey solution that showcases your company’s brand in an easy-to-use intranet. Here are some of our favorite aspects of this product:- C/D/H developers are experts in mobile-responsive design, so your employees will be able to access their intranet from anywhere, anytime.
- If your business is international, you can translate any page with just one mouse click.
- This product allows you to control which employees see what content, based on the criteria you choose.
- You’ll be able to organize and manage your content with ease, and in a way that’s tailored to your business.
But the best part? You don’t have to do it alone. C/D/H will meet with you to identify what you’re looking for in an intranet solution – that’s everything from the look and feel of the site’s design to the content that your employees need to access. And the timeframe is weeks – not months – to create an intranet that your employees will WANT to use.
If this sounds like something you’re interested in, or if you have any general questions, contact us at email@example.com.